I’ve thought about it too often I had to write it down, no matter how disturbing.
I seasoned a whole chicken yesterday for the first time.
I’m not vegetarian nor vegan.
I’m not even pescetarian (Although, I aspire to be)
You see, that action resonated with me
1. Because it felt like holding a baby fetus
2. Hence, why I’m writing this
- 1 (3 pounds) whole baby, giblets removed
- Salt and pepper
- 1Tbs onion powder
- 1/2 cup of margarine
- 1 stalk of celery
- Take out the frozen whole baby and defrost by keeping it in hot water for 15 to 30 minutes
- Place baby in a roasting pan, season generously in its nooks and crannies, inside and out. lather it up. There you go, lift its tiny arms, make sure you cover up the neck. Do not forget the inside. Sprinkle inside and out, top and bottom with onion powder. Then place 3 Tablespoons of margarine inside that child’s cavity, open it up and put it in. Arrange the remains of the margarine around the child’s exterior. Cut the celery into big chunks and again, place it inside its cavity.
- Bake uncovered 1hour and 15 minutes in the oven. Remove from heat, cover with aluminum foil and allow for it to rest before serving.
There you have it
I don’t intend to disturb. It was the first time I’ve touched a whole, unfrozen chicken before and it felt remarkably tender. I couldn’t help but imagine that it’s how a child felt like. And so, it resonated enough to make it here.